Monday, December 21, 2015

No-Churn Matcha Ice Cream

"December Potluck", theme for this week at I Heart Cooking Clubs (IHCC). For potluck week, I've made Nigella Lawson's No-Churn Matcha Ice Cream.

Really easy to make, as you do not need an ice cream maker. Only three ingredients needed, whipping cream, condensed milk and matcha powder. The whipping cream is whipped till soft peaks, followed by the condensed milk, then the green tea powder, whipped until the mixture is green and creamy.Transfer to airtight container, and freeze overnight. I've made this ice cream twice, I thought it was a little too sweet the first time round, but it tastes really nice. So I've made it again, reducing the amount of condensed milk from 2/3 cup to slightly less than 1/2 cup. Make sure to use good quality matcha powder, it makes a big difference to the taste of the ice cream.



Easy, simple and yummy! Perfect treat anytime of the day!



No-Churn Matcha Ice Cream
(source from here)
1-1/4 cups heavy cream
1/2 x 14-ounce can (2/3 cup) condensed milk
2 tablespoons Izu Matcha green tea powder
2 x 1-pint empty ice cream or airtight containers (or 1x1-quart tub or airtight container)

Directions :
Whisk the cream to soft peaks, then whisk in the condensed milk
Then whisk in the green tea powder until you have a whipped green cream.
Decant into your airtight container or containers and freeze overnight.
Take the ice cream out of the freezer to soften for 10 minutes before serving.


I'm linking this post with I Heart Cooking Clubs (IHCC), theme for this week
December Potluck




14 comments:

  1. wow this sounds really simple and the result was terrific, Joyce.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this is definitely on my to do list and I have all the ingredients - love this simple ice cream formula

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love no churn ice cream, looks creamy and nice.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Joyce,

    We will be needing lots of quick and fuss free ice cream for our super hot summer! Thanks for sharing this easy recipe :)

    I will be taking a short 2 week break from blogging for Christmas and would like to take this opportunity to wish you and your family a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year :D

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joyce, how wonderful it is to make ice cream without the need to churn! I noted that these no-churn recipes contain condensed milk, so I was apprehensive because I don't like condensed milk and it is very sweet. I guess I could reduce the amount just like you did. It's worth a try one day!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I still have not tried Matcha tea! By the time I get around to it the fad with probably be over :) Your ice cream is the perfect color for Christmas! Have a Merry Christmas, Joyce!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the consistency of condensed milk for desserts, but yes, it is very sweet! Good call to reduce it. The color of your ice cream is very pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Joyce:)
    I haven't had ice cream in sooooo long, I think I've forgotten how heavenly it is:) Your Matcha Ice Cream sounds and looks yummy. Perhaps some day I will be able to eat ice cream again, lol...

    Thanks for sharing, Joyce. Merry Christmas to You and Yours!!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Made my version of matcha ice cream.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Agreed with you that this recipe is easy to do and yummy. I made matcha ice cream as well. Mine is not as green and it can be made with less sugar.

    ReplyDelete
  11. not sure if I already commented if so sorry for the repeat I've got some matcha in the cabinet -= this looks like my kind of ice cream

    ReplyDelete
  12. I've always been a bit skeptical about making no-churn ice cream, but yours looks so creamy, I'm going to have to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love matcha ice cream and need to try Nigella's version. I will take your hint about making it a bit less sweet! ;-)

    ReplyDelete