Monday, December 28, 2015

Cheddar-Apple Quesadilla

"It's In Your Hands", the theme for this week at I Heart Cooking Clubs (IHCC). It's about "food you can hold and/or eat with your hands". Ellie has lots of recipes that fits this theme. The challenge is to pick which one! I've selected her super easy Cheddar-Apple Quesadilla for the kids' brunch. They woke up late and should I make them breakfast or lunch? Quick and easy snack for brunch it is, and found this simple recipe from Ellie's book "So Easy". And I have all the ingredients!


"It's In Your Hands" Cheddar-Apple Quesadilla


This is really so simple, so easy and makes such a healthy brunch snack. One thing to note that if you are making with four tortillas, one Granny Smith apple is definitely not enough. I've used about 2-1/2 apples for 4 tortillas, and the apples are large. The apples are cored, sliced and arrange on one half of the tortilla. Scatter some shredded Cheddar cheese on top, fold over the tortilla and place in a hot large skillet, weigh the tortilla down with a heavy pan, and cook each side about 1-1/2 to 2 minutes until golden brown. 


Sliced into half and serve immediately. Both my daughter and son, thought that the combination of apples with cheese is a little weird, but they asked for another one as soon as they've finished the first piece! I thought this was really nice and really like it. If you want a healthy snack, but really rushing for time, this would be great. It comes together in a just a few minutes.


Cheddar-Apple Quesadilla
(adapted from "So Easy", Ellie Krieger)
1 Granny Smith apple, cored, thinly sliced
4 whole-wheat flour tortillas (9 inches in diameter)
1 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese (4 ounces)

Preheat a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
Fan out the apple slices over the bottom half of the tortilla and top with the cheddar cheese. Fold the tortillas in half. Working in batches, place the quesadillas in the skillet and weigh them down with a smaller heavy skillet or an ovenproof plate topped with a heavy can. Cook until the cheese is melted and the tortillas are golden brown, about 1-1/2 minutes per side. Cut in half and eat warm.


I'm linking this post with I Heart Cooking Clubs (IHCC), theme for this week,
"It's In Your Hands"

and

Cook-Your-Books

9 comments:

  1. Hi Joyce,
    Oh I've tried something similar sprinkled with some raisins. Agree this is healthy and easy snacks.
    Wishing you a great start as usher into the new year. ... Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Happy New Year, Joyce!
    The quesadilla looks so very tasty and healthy too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Joyce!!! just stopping by to wish you a happy new year!!! I tried this once while trying Ellie's recipes and to be honest I wasnt sure I liked it.

    ReplyDelete

  4. Feliz ano novo!
    Seguimos nossa caminhada na construção de um mundo mais justo, fraterno, humano, harmonioso e de doação.
    Todos somos promotores da Paz...que começa em nossos corações e se estende a tudo que nos rodeia!!!
    Obrigada por fazer parte da minha história de vida!
    UM ABENÇOADO 2016!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmm... I'd be happy to have this for any snack or meal Joyce. I love pairing tart/sweet apples with gooey cheese. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Now I really have to try this out ! Looks appetizing with my favourite ingredinet ... APPLE ! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Slices of apple dipped in cheese. A welcome and heathy snack for any age, at anytime.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the combination of cheddar cheese with apples. I've actually had apple pie with cheddar cheese in the crust and it's surprisingly good.

    I've made these quesadillas before and thought they were really good. Yours look pretty (and that melty cheese is calling my name)!

    ReplyDelete
  9. These are my kind of breakfast and snack, anytime! :D

    ReplyDelete