Thursday, October 29, 2015

Apple Pielettes : TWD

This week's baking assignment at Tuesdays With Dorie (TWD) is Apple Pielettes from Dorie Greenspan's fabulous book "Baking Chez Moi". I have missed a few weeks of baking with the group, and have not been baking much lately either. Hopefully, that will change!


Freshly baked Apple Pielettes. Smells wonderful while baking.



A few changes I've made :

  1. For the galette dough : I've reduced a tablespoon of sugar for a double-recipe.
  2. I've used dark raisins soaked in 2 tablespoons of  rum overnight. The raisins absorbed every drop of the rum by the next day. 
  3. Instead of apply jelly or marmalade, I've used 2 tablespoons Rhubarb-Ginger soft set jam.
  4. Omitted the grated nutmeg for the filling.
  5. Used a smaller size muffin pan, not the regular standard-sized ones. The cookie cutters I used to cut out the pastry dough are : 3-1/2 " for the base and 2-1/2" for the top, which fits the muffin pan perfectly.
The baked pielettes came out of the muffin pans easily. Except for one which has the juice bubbling up through the slits at the top of the pielettes and flowed onto the pan. It was stuck and fall apart when I tried to take it out, but I did enjoyed it straight from the muffin pan with a spoon! Yummy! The rest came off pretty easy.




These are so, so, good! The crust is so tender crisp, and buttery. I like the filling, not too sweet, with all the right balance of flavours from the apples, raisins, dried apricots, vanilla, cinnamon, and I'm so glad I've used the Rhubard-Ginger jam, they are a wonderful addition to the filling. These pielettes are perfect for breakfast, tea-time or just a snack with a cup of tea anytime of the day. 


This post is linked to Tuesdays With Dorie (TWD)


and 
Cook-Your-Books



10 comments:

  1. Your pielettes are soooo cute Joyce. Rum-soaked raisins and rhubarb-ginger jam sound like delicious additions to these little apple treats.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your pielettes look great! Rhubarb-Ginger jam sounds like a really good combo with the apples!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Joyce , these are a must bake . Thanks for sharing :) have a great week Nee

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes these were "so so good" indeed :) I heartily concur. Yours look lovely ! The Rhubarb Ginger jam sounds amazing as does those raisins soaked in rum. Definitely need to try that one myself. Great post ~

    ReplyDelete
  5. Joyce, your Apple Pielettes look so yummy good!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your pielettes turned out beautifully! I love the idea of rhubarb-ginger jam with these - I bet it was amazing. I'm also in love with Dorie's galette dough - so easy to work with and sturdy without sacrificing tenderness.

    ReplyDelete
  7. These mini apple pies look fantastic, Joyce.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Joyce,
    These mini apple pielettes look fabulous.
    Love the tender crisp and buttery crust. These pielettes will be a great treat for any time of the day!
    mui

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love all the changes you made to the recipe. I think a 3 1/2 inch cutter would have been better. I think these would be a great addition to any holiday table.

    ReplyDelete
  10. These were good weren't they? And so easy to make. Love the idea of the rum raisins.

    ReplyDelete