Monday, March 2, 2015

Homemade Spinach Noodles (from homegrown spinach)

I made some Spinach Noodles a couple of weeks ago for January's Little Thumbs Up Noodles event hosted by Anne of My Bare Cupboard, but did not quite make it on time. So, I'm sharing it today :)


My homegrown Chinese spinach, harvested from my potted garden. I was a little late in harvesting these veggie, and they are a little old to stir-fry, so I used the leaves and stems to make Spinach Noodles.


  1. Roughly chop the leaves and stems. Place them in a blender with a little water and blend to a puree.
  2. Strain the blended spinach over a sieve into a bowl to collect the juice.
  3. Press the residue with the back of the spoon to extract as much juice as possible.
  4. Amount of lovely spinach juice collected.


  1. Add the spinach juice into a bowl of flour.
  2. Mix them and knead to a smooth dough. 



  1. Cover the dough with a damp cloth and keep aside for about 45 minutes.
  2. Divide the dough into 6 pieces and roll each piece into a thin sheet. Sprinkle with some flour on both sides.




  1. Place the sheet of dough through the pasta maker to roll it out thinner (or to desired thickness).
  2. Cut them into long noodles using the pasta maker.



Toss them in some flour to prevent sticking. Blanch the noodles in hot boiling water, drain and refresh briefly in cold water, and dip them again briefly in hot water. Ready to use and cook as desired. 


I've served the noodles with cooked minced pork, fish balls and some veggies.


Homemade Spinach Noodles
(serves 6)
150gm Chinese spinach (amaranth)
3/4 cup water
3/4 tsp salt
550gm plain flour
  1. Roughly chop the leaves and stems of the Chinese spinach. Place them in a blender with a little water and blend to a puree. (Do not add more water than necessary. If the juice is not enough after straining, additional water can always be added during kneading).
  2. Strain the blended spinach over a sieve into a bowl to collect the juice.
  3. Press the residue in the sieve with the back of the spoon to extract as much juice as possible.
  4. Mix the salt and flour in a large mixing bowl, make a well in the centre and add in half the spinach juice, gradually adding the remaining juice as you knead, to make a smooth dough. If the dough is dry and all of the juice has been used up, add in a tablespoon of water at a time until the dough comes together. Knead until the dough is smooth, it should not be too soft.
  5. Cover the bowl with a damp cloth and keep aside for about 45 minutes to rest.
  6. Divide the dough into 6 equal portions, roll them out flat, and pass them one by one through the pasta maker to thin them out evenly. Cut the flattened dough to desired size noodles using the pasta maker. 
  7. Toss the noodles with some flour to prevent sticking. Cook in hot boiling water, refresh in cold water and cook as desired.

17 comments:

  1. Hi Joyce! I just came from your little potted garden to enjoy your noodles hee..hee...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my goodness, Joyce! You made spinach noodles with Spinach from your garden!!! How cool is that!!!

    You make it sound so easy as if you do it everyday, lol...You probably do:) I wouldn't even attempt it and I even have a pasta maker, lol...They look yummy and I'm sure everyone enjoyed them!

    Thanks so much for sharing, Joyce...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Simply damn delicious!!!
    i think i'm gonna use amarath for this recipe
    Dedy@Dentist Chef

    ReplyDelete
  4. Olha que ideia original. É isto que me faz gostar tanto de inventar na cozinha.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How cool is that! Everything HOMEMADE, even the spinach.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your spinach noodles look great and your home grown spinach really looks healthy!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Joyce, your noodles look delicious! We love spinach and I know this would be good. It will be a long time before there's any spinach in the garden here. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Joyce ,
    Love spinach and the spinach noodles look deliciously good . I am pinning them to make very , very soon . Thanks for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Joyce,

    I love your spinach noodles!!! You know that I'm a strong believer of cooking food from scratch and love the fact that even your spinach is home grown!

    Zoe

    ReplyDelete
  10. Definitely healthy homecooked food and making spinach noodles from scratch ! Yummy-licious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your homegrown spinach...I just got a pasta maker...and would love to try the spinach noodle...the noodles look awesome...thanks for the recipe Joyce.
    Have a wonderful week :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. We really love noddle. Thanks for sharing the recipe. I want to try it soon

    ReplyDelete
  13. Hi Joyce, love this recipe on home-made noodles. I have a noodle machine but didn't make use of it. Perhaps, it is time I use it.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This was something I always wanted to make! Oh dear... R u getting sick of me saying this? But truly!! I mean, what beats a plate of healthy homemade noodles that we make ourselves right? Ok ok... I must start Making, not Baking

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh, this is such a treat. I used to make homemade noodles with my mother all the time. The taste of homemade noodles is the best. This looks wonderful. xoxo Catherine

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi again Joyce,
    Another lovely recipe...Two queries: what is the Chinese word for Spinach? When I go to the
    wet market I am confused with the variety available! Knowing the Chinese words would help
    greatly.
    Also what Brand of Noodle Maker are you using, again a confusing decision!
    Thanks for sharing,
    Datin Singh Ipoh

    ReplyDelete