Sunday, November 25, 2012

Brinjals With Hot Bean Paste

Do you like eating brinjals? I do, it is one of my favourite veggies. There are different varieties of brinjals, and goes by many names. Interesting facts I've read from Wikipedia, that in Malaysia and parts of the Asian countries, we usually call these veggies Brinjals. The name Eggplants are used in United States, Australia, New Zealand and Canada whereas, the name Aubergine is used in France. There are different varieties of brinjals, the most common ones are the popular purple and white varieties. Of course, each different culture and country have their own special way of cooking this wonderful veggie.


One of my favourite way of eating Brinjals, is to cook it in a Chinese stir-fry style. This recipe is from one of my very old cookbook, "Chinese Cuisine". The name of this recipe is actually Fish-Flavoured Eggplants, but there is nothing "fishy" about this dish! It does not have fish or even fish sauce as one of it's ingredient ,so I just called it "Brinjals with Hot Bean Paste".



This is a delicious dish to eat with plain white rice.  The brinjals are first fried until cooked, which takes only about 2 minutes on each side. Since brinjals tend to soak in the oil during frying, drain them on kitchen paper towels to remove excess oil. And to avoid using more oil than necessary, use a non-stick frying pan. While cooking this, make sure you get the seasoning right, it should be a little sweet, salty and mildly spicy. Even my kids love it. If you are not serving it to kids, you may increase the spiciness by adding in chopped fresh hot red chillies. 



Try it and enjoy!

I'm sharing this with
Recipe Box hosted by Bizzy Bakes
See Ya In The Gumbo hosted by Ms. enPlace


Brinjals with Hot Bean Paste
(adapted from "Chinese Cuisine" by Huang Su-Huei, with some changes)
450gm brinjals
1/3 cup oil for frying
100gm ground pork

For stir-frying :
1 teaspoon hot bean paste
2 tablespoons chopped green onions, white part (scallions)
1 tablespoons minced ginger root
1 tablespoons minced garlic

chopped green onions, green part, from above, reserved for later

Mix together for the gravy :
1-1/2  tablespoons soy sauce (or to taste)
1 tsp black soy sauce
3/4 cup stock
1/2 tablespoons sugar (or to taste)
1/2 tablespoons rice vinegar
1 tablespoons Chinese cooking wine

Mix together :
1 teaspoon cornstarch
1 tablespoon water

  1. Cut off the ends of the eggplants. Cut the eggplant into 1/2-inch strips. Heat the wok then add oil. Fry the eggplant strips for about 3 minutes, or until cooked. Remove and drain on kitchen paper towels. 
  2. In a clean wok, add about 1-2 tablespoon of the oil from (1) above. Stir-fry the ground pork and add  ingredients for stir-frying one at a time, stirring after each addition. Return the eggplant to the wok and add in gravy mixture, cook for 1 minute. Add cornstarch solution to thicken, stir.  Add the reserved chopped green onions. Transfer to a serving plate, serve hot.

22 comments:

  1. Hey! I learned a new word today :) These brinjals look really yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wah..sedap kalu makan sama bubur putih..best.

    ReplyDelete
  3. hey, i just had brinjal just now at a restaurant for dinner. I suspected there's also hot bean paste in the gravy but i cant figure out what else they put in..very nice and your homecooked style of this dish is surely appetising as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They're yummy with white porridge too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love eating brinjals too, but we rarely cook it at home. Usually we will order this everytime we eat out. Your way of cooking it looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Joyce, thank to you, I travel and I discover food that I totally don't know ! Brinjals ?? I don't even know if I could find it in france ;)
    But as always, it seems very good and full of flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Joyce, my grandma cooked the eggplants the same way too. Miss her cooking.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I learned something new today - other names for eggplants :) Such a flavorful dish with the bean paste!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is my mum's & my fav dish! Here we have 2 types of eggplants, one is similar to Malaysian's type & the other is "oversize" eggplants. I normally use the latter type for cooking, save time, no need to cut so many eggplants, hahaha!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow! lots of wonderful flavor here - I LOVE brinfals!
    Mary x

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your brinjal looks delicious though I dont particularly love brinjals. But I love it with hot bean paste.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Joyce, I love egg plant cooked this way... lovely with a bowl of hot steaming rice. Your dish looks so delicious, wish I could have it for lunch :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I had no idea what brinjals were, but after reading your post I can tell you that I do eat them! My son (of all people) has taught me to like eggplant. He loves it so I'm always looking for new ideas. The gravy sounds great!
    Thank you for linking with See Ya in the Gumbo this week.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Joyce, I love brinjals and this is one of my favorite brinjal dishes. I can eat it just by itself, that's how much I love it :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I love brinjals,eggplant. aubergines. This looks really appetising.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love it ! Especially the way you cooked it :D Need extra rice to mop up that yummy sauce !

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh! YUM! I love eggplant(brinjals). You taught me a new word today too. I can't wait to try your recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  18. now i'm craving for brinjal, Joyce :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. What fun and colorful eggplant! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  20. This brinjal dish is my husband's favourite. It looks so beautiful, Joyce.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Joyce, I love brinjals too. I normally steam the brinjals and stir fried the mince meat and place on top of the steamed brinjal.
    Yours looks so flavourful with the hot bean paste. I will try your way of cooking this the next time i cook brinjals.
    Thanks for sharing!
    mui..^^

    ReplyDelete