Friday, July 20, 2012

THB : Mocha-Cappuccino Marbled Coffee Cake

It's our sixth bake over at The Home Bakers (THB)!  We have completed 10 per cent of the book today! To all my dear fellow bakers at THB, give yourselves a pat on the back! Great work, everyone! Yay, 6 down and 54 more to go! 

For this sixth bake, our fellow baker, Lena from Frozen Wings has chosen Mocha-Cappuccino Marbled Coffee Cake. Lena must be a coffee addict like me, why else would she choose a cake with coffee flavour! wink! wink!  Thanks Lena, for a great pick, this cake is wonderful.



Made the full recipe and once again, my Wilton bundt pan did not disappoint me, the cake unmold perfectly!



As usual, I've reduced the sugar, original calls for 1-1/2 cups (300gm) of sugar, I only use 180gm which works out great for me. Mich from Piece of Cake has hi-lighted on the light coffee flavour, so I have added about half a tablespoon more of instant coffee. It turns out really nice, with coffee flavour and wonderful aroma. The ingredient calls for sour cream, I substituted with my own homemade yoghurt. The  cake  batter is flavoured with instant coffee powder and a third of the batter is mixed with some melted chocolate. These two batters are then dropped in the bundt pan alternately by the spoonfuls, and lastly make one swirl with a knife before baking.  But to me, one swirl is not enough, I did a couple of swirls (maybe 3 or four) and then the last swirl of a zig-zag motion, by then I thought, I might have combined the two batters! Luckily, it worked out fine, with nice swirls.



The cake is baked at 375F for about 55-60 minutes, but mine was done at 50 minutes. It smells wonderful while baking! This cake is really moist, with soft tender crumbs, and the taste of the coffee is definitely there! 


This is one of the cakes that improves when left overnight. It gets more moist and the flavours of the coffee and chocolate are more pronounced the next day. I can really taste the two different flavours of the coffee and chocolate in each bite, really good! My hubby took some to his office and this cake has positive reviews from his co-workers. Overall, a delicious cake, perfect with a cup of coffee, one that I would not mind making again.


Please stop by Lena of Frozen Wings for the recipe and to see the others bake on this cake, please visit The Home Bakers (THB).


Welcome to The Home Bakers



THB is currently baking from Coffee Cakes by Lou Seibert Pappas, if you would like to join in, please hop over to THB for details on how to become a member. Everyone's welcome!


27 comments:

  1. It certainly looks moist from the photos and with all positive comments, this cake is the star from the book thus far!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love this one!! Yours look exactly like mine :D. You are right, the cake tasted better next day. Perfect for breakfast :D.
    Have a nice day!
    xo
    Anuja

    ReplyDelete
  3. 100% agree with you, the cake came out so nicely & clean! I've learned that for some western cake recipes, I can simply slash the sugar by 50% & the cake still tasted sweet to me! Coffee cake is my "cup of tea!" Great to have one with a cup of tea in the morning b4 kick off for the day!

    ReplyDelete
  4. ahhh Love this cake!! Look really wonderful!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I love this cake too, bt i tink my swirls are in a mess... hahaha.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Anuja, your cake looks really pretty, the bundt pan works well for this cake.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Joyce, paiseh, I meant to leave this message for Anuja, I was looking at both your blogs at the same time and left the wrong message on the wrong blog, so sorry :(

      I think the bundt pan looks good for this cake. Now I am tempted to get that pan too. Your swirls are also very nice, and cake looks rich and moist. Looking at your cake, I just realised I may have done something wrong for mine... my cake seems so much more pale than yours, I wonder why?

      Delete
    2. Hi Mich, no worries! hehe!
      I added half a tablespoon more of the instant coffee powder, I think that contributes to the darker colour, also I use Nestle coffee powder, maybe the brand you use is not as dark. There's nothing wrong with your cake, it looks moist and delicious!

      Delete
    3. Joyce, I'm going to get some Nestle coffee powder for the next time I bake this. Though I don't drink coffee, my coffee powder will go quickly if I bake this cake often enough :)

      Delete
  7. Ah, what a delicious looking marble cake!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It sure does look delicious, Joyce. I love that you used your own homemade yogurt which reminds me, it's time for a new batch! I wouldn't mind just a slice of that cake right now:)

    Thank you so much for sharing...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hmm nice..today I'm full with mocha aroma in my blog...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Pass me a slice...that's one inviting cake!!! Lovely...

    ReplyDelete
  11. nice looking cake Joyce! many of u used bundt pan i am now really tempted to get one too :)
    going to bake this cake tomorrow (as usual, the last minute Alice LOL)

    ReplyDelete
  12. i'm not a coffee addict..but i thought maybe this is one of the easier recipes in the book..haha! but i buy coffee for my bakes and i love the coffee aroma in cakes. A coffee chiffon would be great too! now i see your beautiful swirls,as you can see mine, i didnt get the swirls but happy with the cake!

    ReplyDelete
  13. The shape and the swirl looks fantastic ! The coffee flavor ? AWESOME ! lol Says the kopi addict ! :D Delicious cake , Joyce !

    ReplyDelete
  14. Mindblowing bake, prefect for an coffee addict like me.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Oh God, That looks SO good :D
    Have a wonderful Friday...

    xx
    http://abudhabifood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  16. love your blog Joyce :-)
    Glad to follow you !!
    Plz do visit mine in your spare time :-)
    shrutirasoi

    Today's Recipe
    Paneer Butter Masala

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my! I've gotta try this cake liao! Looks so moist with lovely swirl too! I'm a coffee addict that can't drink coffee so coffee cake will certainly make me very HAPPY! I wonder instead of using instant coffee , can I replace it with espresso. What do you think Si-fo? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kit,
      Go make this cake! And send some over! I have finished mine already! Haha! It tastes more delicious on the second and third day! Yes, I think that you could replace with espresso!
      A word of caution: A wonderful aroma will be detected in your kitchen when the cake is baking, which cannot be avoided even if you wanted to! LOL!! Happy Baking!

      Delete
  18. coffee cakes are my favorite. i love the mocha and cappucino flavors in this one. just beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lena made a good choice. I made some changes but ended up with good results.

    Your cake looks yummy. I like that it is darker.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love that crust on your cake! You got lovely swirls!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Joyce your cake looks absolutely delicious! And you managed to get some swirls... my cake was so dark that I can't see the swirl at all haha. Can't wait for the next bake!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Just hop over from Lena's. Realised that both of you used yogurt instead of sour cream. With lower fat content in the cake batter, I'm guessing your cake batter might be less thick to create a nice swirl.

    I'm suspecting that this compact type of cake texture is the kind that Lou is after and most of her cakes will be like that. To avoid similar kind of compact cake texture, I will modify Lou's recipe in my future THB bakes :D

    ReplyDelete