Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Oven-Barbecued Chicken Wings

These Oven-Barbecued Chicken Wings are delicious! I bought the book New York Times Chicken Cookbook more than a year ago and have only tried 2 recipes from it. This book is a compilation of chicken recipes with different methods of cooking chicken, which are categorized into different sections. The sections falls under "roast, baked, grill, fried, steaming and poaching, crispy and crunchy, slow cooked and a meal in itself".  There are no photos at all in this book, but tons of delicious recipes, all from contributing chefs, restaurateurs, cookbook authors and other fine cooks. If you love chicken, this is the book to have!



I have about 1-1/2 dozen of chicken wings in my freezer and was searching for some baked recipes. Found this recipe from that book and made for dinner last week, together with Tomato Soup and Cheddar Cheese Bread. The barbecue sauce is super easy to make, I'm sure all the ingredients can be found in your own pantry. I happen to have all the ingredients in my pantry, so it was super convenient! I just love it, when I have what I need, without having to make a trip to the store to get something I am short of! 


I baked 18 chicken wings, but made the full recipe for the sauce. All the more to baste the chicken during baking, yum! I did not follow the steps from the instructions 1 to 4 as per the recipe below. What I did was, I marinated the chicken wing with the salt, pepper, paprika and oil, mix them well, cover and refrigerate for about 2 hours. Next, I arrange them on a baking sheet lined with aluminium foil and proceed from Step 5. At the end of baking time, I turned on the top broil in my oven, move the tray up and broil for 4-5 minutes, turn the chicken, broil for another 4-5 minutes until browned. Delicious with some fresh crunchy cucumbers! 



Oven-Barbecued Chicken Wings
(adapted from : "The New York Times Chicken Cookbook", Edited by Linda Amster)
(Recipe Contributer : Craig Claiborne with Pierre Franey)
24 chicken wings, about 4 to 5 pounds
salt to taste, if desired
2 teaspoons medium-grind black pepper
3 teaspoons paprika
1/2 cup corn, peanut or vegetable oil
1 cup tomato ketchup
1/4 cup honey
3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
3 tablespoons white vinegar
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
1 tablespoon imported mustard
1 tablespoon finely minced garlic
4 tablespoons butter
1 bay leaf
  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
  2. Fold the small tips of the chicken wings under the main wing ones so that the wings remain flat.
  3. Arrange the wings  in one layer in a baking dish so that they bake comfortably close together without crowding.
  4. Sprinkle with salt, pepper and two teaspoons of the paprika. Pour half of the oil over all and turn the wings in the mixture so that they are evenly coated. Arrange them on one layer with the small-wing side down.
  5. Place in the oven and bake for 15 minutes.
  6. Meanwhile, combine the ketchup, remaining oil, honey, vinegars, Worcestershire sauce, Tabasco sauce, mustard, garlic, butter, bay leaf and remaining paprika. Bring to a boil.
  7. Brush the wings lightly with sauce and turn them to the other side. Brush that side with sauce and continue baking 15 minutes.
  8. Brush the wings once more. Turn the pieces and brush this side once more. Continue baking 15 minutes.
  9. Continue turning, brushing and baking the chicken for 15 minutes longer or a total of about 1 hour.

24 comments:

  1. It's lunchtime and I'm drooling over your chicken wings! I can have 5-6 pieces with no problem. Oh wait, there is a problem - you need to send it over... pleeeeeease?

    :p

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yummy! This looks so good, making me drool. Please make a huge tray and invite me over someday :p

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wah Joyce, my MiMi is a great fan of chix wings...!!! This will suits her well. Everytime when we ask her wat she wanna eat, "Chic Wings" will always be her reply....:))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Baked chicken wings looks yummy....

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Joyce, mouth-watering BBQ chicken wings, I love chicken wings, oh, have you heard me shouting my heart out from here?

    ReplyDelete
  6. That scrumptious dish makes me drool !!!! I'll bring rice , okay ! lol

    ReplyDelete
  7. Makes me hungry..love to have few rite now.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yummy! I love chicken wings too, used to buy from the stalls outside kopitiam whenever we eat out...very tempting, just like yours:D

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tasty and healthy looking appetizer!

    ReplyDelete
  10. eileen@hundred eighty degreesWednesday, July 18, 2012

    I can eat half a dozen :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. That looks delicious. I'm almost 20 weeks pregnant and chicken is one of my favorite foods. I might just take this recipe, sounds yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Joyce,
    BBQ chicken wings..my boys favourite and their mum too..lol
    Love these BBQ chicken wings of your, looks simple to cook, yet delicious.
    I also like the way you broil your BBQ wings, makes wings browned so nicely.
    Have a nice week ahead..^^

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow! These chicken wings looks so yummy! I'm certainly trying this recipe coz it's BBQ season but the sun seems a bit shy!!! Nevertheless once the sun shows up, I'll try this & let you know for sure! Have a nice day, Joyce! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Lovely pictures and marvelous dish! I really have to experiment and cook more

    ReplyDelete
  15. These chicken wings look fingerlicking!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Joyce, there is nothing better than a zesty sauce on wings! It is nice that this one is made with basic pantry ingredients, thanks for sharing. For me personally the wing is one of my favorite pieces.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love chicken wings in barbecue, it's wonderful they look golden, delicious! kisses, good weekend :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hi Joyce, Wow! I love this! Add some chilli sauce, and will finish half a chicken, ha ha ha.
    Looks so sinfully delicious!
    This cannot just have 1 piece.....ha ha ha. Can I come over?
    I bring durians.
    Have a nice day.
    Lee.

    ReplyDelete
  19. joyce, you got to excuse me, frozen wings cant look at your BBQ wings anymore, her saliva is dripping all over her keyboard !!

    ReplyDelete
  20. so many types of sauces to marinate this wings...aiyoh...sure finger licking good! next time pls do extra extra extra pieces to welcome your 'guests' . lol!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Se ve muy delicioso me encantan las alitas de pollo son más sabrosas,abrazos hugs,hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Oh my goodness, these look sooooo good. We are big chicken eaters here, so this would be a great book to have. Just loving the sound of this sauce.

    Thanks for sharing at Cookbook Sundays.

    Sue :-)

    ReplyDelete