Sunday, July 15, 2012

Jamie's Tomato Soup

"Cook Like A Star", an event organized by my baking buddy, Zoe from Bake For Happy Kids is a bi-monthly event where a celebrity chef will be featured for the whole month, and everyone is free to cook or bake from the chosen celebrity chef's recipes and join in the blog-hop fun! For this month of July, the featured chef is Jamie Oliver. I'm sure EVERYONE knows who Jamie Oliver is! 

Years ago when I first watched his cooking shows on TV, I find him a very "messy chef" LOL! There was one episode, when I watched him, opened his kitchen window, which is facing the busy street below, snipped off some herbs and straight into his cooking pot! He did not rinse them first, surely there must be some dust outside the kitchen window right above the busy street! And he mixes his minced meat with whatever ingredients or seasonings he added in, with his hands! And that's not all, he even toss a bowl of salad with his hands! At first, I was like, argh.... I would never use my hands to mix mince meat together! But then, he is Jamie Oliver, and that is his fuss-free style! And now, he is one of my favourite chefs today! *~*

To join the blog-hop fun, I've made Jamie's tomato soup. This is a lovely soup, but then it is not as creamy and thick as the soups that I've eaten from western restaurants. I think those restaurants must have added some thickener to the soup. And I guess that the quality of the tomatoes definitely plays the top role in making a thick and creamy soup. I did not use plum tomatoes, since the store near my place do not have them and even if I do find them, it is very costly, Roma Tomatoes costs about more than RM30/kg, our local tomatoes are priced at RM2.90/kg, see the difference? So I used our local ripe tomatoes instead. Our local tomatoes are not as fleshy as the plum tomatoes, in fact they contain more juice, so that makes the soup not as thick. 



Nevertheless, with lots of seasoning of salt and pepper, as advised by Jamie, this makes a lovely soup. I used my homemade chicken stock, the last batch! Argh... I hate it when I use my last batch of homemade stock, that means that I have to make a fresh batch, and I do not like making stock, it takes a few hours to cook, cool, divide into containers, label and store! But once that's done, it is a relief to know that I have ready made stock at hand whenever I need! OK , back to my soup, we had the tomato soup with my homemade Cheddar Cheese Bread which I toasted till crispy, which is wonderful with the soup. This recipe makes quite a lot, we had this again with toasted bread the next day for lunch, and my kids was looking forward to the leftovers! The soup gets a little thicker and tastier the next day too!


I'm submitting this to :



I'm sharing this too with :
Cookbook Sundays hosted by Couscous & Consciousness
Recipe Box hosted by Bizzy Bakes

Tomato Soup
(adapted from "Jamie's Food Revolution" by Jamie Oliver)
Serves 6-8
2 carrots
2 celery stalks
2 medium onions
2 cloves of garlic
1-3/4 quarts chicken or vegetable broth
olive oil
2x14-ounce cans of plum tomatoes
6 large ripe tomatoes
a small bunch of fresh basil
sea salt
freshly ground black pepper

To make your soup :
Peel and roughly slice the carrots. Slice the celery. Peel and roughly chop the onions. Peel and slice the garlic.
Put the broth in a saucepan and heat until boiling.
Put a large saucepan on a medium heat and add 2 tablepsoons of olive oil. Add all your chopped and sliced ingredients and mix together with a wooden spoon. Cook for around 10 to 15 minutes with the lid askew, until the carrots have softened but are still holding their shape, and the onion is lightly golden.
Add the boiling broth to the pan with your canned and fresh whole tomatoes, including the green stalks that may still be attached to some of them (these give an amazing flavour-trust me!)
Give it a good stir and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat and simmer for 10 minutes with the lid on. Meanwhile, pick your basil leaves.

To serve your soup :
Remove the pan from the heat. Season with salt and pepper and add the basil leaves. Using an immersion blender or liquidizer, pulse the soup until smooth. Season again before dividing between your serving bowls.


24 comments:

  1. Super comforting soup,love to have a bowl.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect for supper accompanied by "khichadi". This stuff is what defines "comfort and fuss free food" . The cheddar cheese bread looks great.
    xoxo
    Anuja

    ReplyDelete
  3. Expensive tomato kah cheap one kah, kasi 1 bowl, mesti habis jugak. Tu la Jamie's food are all so yummy cos got the extra 'flavor' in it..he is one of my fav chef too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Bread looks so delicious and fulfilling. Wonderfully prepared.

    Deepa

    ReplyDelete
  5. Must be very nice when dipping with toasted bread.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow, the roma tomatoes are indeed very expensive! Haven't had this type of soup for a long time, can I have some with you? I love it but my son doesn't like it, so I have a good excuse not to cook it, hehehe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very refreshing soup , Joyce ! Perfect for these hot summer days ! It really goes well with your yummy homemade ( toasted ) cheese bread :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I used to cook tomato sauce and have them with pasta. My kids can't accept tomato soup :p the imported tomatoes are indeed costly. Here(Kuching) local tomatoes cost around RM 5/kg. Which is more expensive than Peninzular Malaysia.
    I'm sure taste great with the crispy bread !

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Joyce,
    The color of your soup looks so warm and cosy.
    Having a bowl of homemade tomato soup with homemade bread sound so enjoying.
    Do you mind teach me how you cook your chicken stock? I can see cooking the chicken stock in advance and stock up for later
    use can be so convenience...love to try that..thanks in advance..^^

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi mui mui
      Will do a post on that when I next make my new batch! It takes more than half a day to make a pot of chicken stock, will reserve a day for stock making!

      Delete
  10. i dont want my milo today for breakfast. can i hv your tomato soup instead? i got bread in my house..:)) dont ask me to cook now..i tak lak chicken stock!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yes, I have seen that episode, but I like his style of cooking, very simple and agak-agak type of cooking lol! Your tomato soup looks nice, I don't like to put too much cream into my soup too, very jelak if drink too much!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oh my! this is DELISH... and I am hungry for some!

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. This soup look really delicious I love Jimmy recipes:)

    ReplyDelete
  15. Hi Joyce, the soup looks really appetitising. I always loved totmato soup. I also wouldn't spend so much on tomatoes!! Agree that I find him quite relaxed and all over the place. But that is the cool thing about his cooking, fuss free hee hee

    ReplyDelete
  16. Yum-yum! I was longing for soup this few day since the depressing weather over here! Raining like cats & dogs for days! This soup looks so delicious & great with homemade cheddar cheese bread! Totally fit the bill! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Eileen@Hundred Eighty DegreesMonday, July 16, 2012

    I haven't had this 'western soup' for quite sometime...your soup looks just right for me with some garlic bread toast...yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh yum! A toasty garlic bread and it's a nice comfy food to have any day. :)) I love anything tomato...even ketchup, haha! :D

    ReplyDelete
  19. I had the impression too that Jamie Oliver is a messy cook and likes sticking in his hands in all his food but I think I look at him differently... maybe I'm feeling that I'm like him sticking in my hands in all my food... LOL!

    This soup is beautiful with nice and bright tomato colours. Roma tomatoes are always in season in early autumn and I didn't know they are so expensive in Malaysia. Totally agree too that the local Malaysian tomatoes and the Roma ones are quite different in texture and taste.

    ReplyDelete
  20. there is nothing better than a good tomato soup and a hot grill cheese sandwich! Wow,this recipe looks delicious

    ReplyDelete
  21. Looks simple, delicious, and comforting.

    ReplyDelete
  22. soup looks delicious and I am big fan of Jamie Oliver

    ReplyDelete
  23. Wonderful looking soup, Joyce - beautiful colour, and I bet it's great with the toasted Cheddar Cheese Bread.

    I'm a huge Jamie Oliver fan - I have a couple of his books and use them often.

    Thanks for sharing your soup at Cookbook Sundays.

    ReplyDelete