Wednesday, July 4, 2012

A Day Of Baking Class at Taylor's University Lakeside Campus

I was deeply honoured to be invited by Ms. Samantha Mah of Taylor's University Lakeside Campus to attend a hands-on classic cake and pastry class on 24 June 2012. Naturally, I said yes, as it is such a wonderful opportunity to be invited to a class and to receive a hands-on baking lesson by a talented Pastry Chef by the name of Chef Karam. 

As a brief introduction, Taylor's University Lakeside Campus is a prestigious university located at the Klang Valley, and is the first in Malaysia to host a tropical, ecologically friendly theme. Built around a 5.5-acre lake, and with a 27-acre self-contained campus, this prestigious university is extensively landscaped to harmonise with nature.





Here are a few photos which I took :








On the morning of 24th June, I was quite nervous as well as super excited since I've never attended any baking class before. Upon reaching Taylor's University, I was warmly greeted and welcomed by the friendly and pleasant Samantha, who is the Business Development Executive at Taylor's University. As we head towards the building where the class was held, Samantha briefed me on how the baking classes at Taylor's University are conducted and what are the courses available. I was very impressed with the overall campus as the administration and academic buildings are all very modern and new, and the landscape which includes a lake gives a clean and peaceful feeling. 


Soon after, we reached our destination where she led me to the Pastry Kitchen. Wow, this was the first time that I had stepped into a real, professional Pastry Kitchen! The Pastry Kitchen here was rather huge, and there were a number of Kitchen rooms dedicated specially for Pastry as well as Culinary classes. The pastry kitchen comes complete with all the equipment like heavy duty stand mixers (Kitchen Aid), refrigerators, big ovens, a pantry room, stoves and big sinks that make washing up a breeze! 


Chef Karam, the pastry chef for my class, was already in the room busily making preparations for the day when we entered. Several students for that day were already there as well. While we wait for the rest of the students to arrive, Samantha introduced me to Chef Karam. I was just happy and relieve to see that Chef Karam was really friendly and nice. After the introduction, I was given a complimentary bag filled with notepads, pen and apron to use, which really came in handy. As soon as all the students had arrived, Chef Karam started the class by conducting a demo and then followed by our very own hands-on experience.


Chef Karam, Pastry Chef



Demo in progress :  Students crowding around Chef Karam, as he showed us how to make Pavlova, sharing the techniques and tips.



Back to the places, everyone!  Now it is our turn to make our own Pavlova!



Next, Chef Karam taught us how to make Banana Sponge Cake for the Banana Mousse. And once again,  everyone went back to the own places to make their own. It was interesting watching everyone concentrate and engrossed in their own individual tasks, and at the same time, I can tell that they are enjoying it too.



Here are the bakes that we have learnt from Chef Karam :

Tarte Tatin. A delightful apple tart, I took mine home to bake so that it is warm and delicious when eaten minutes after baking!


Banana Mousse Cake. This is a lovely Banana Sponge Cake, cut into thin layers and layered with a generous amount of delicious Banana Mousse. A perfect dessert that would please anyone!



Pavlova. This is simply delicious. The Meringue Shell is so crispy and yummy, eaten with some Chantilly Cream and Fruit Compote. Chef Karam decorated the Pavlova with a couple of Macarons which he made earlier, aren't they gorgeous!


The Group Photo 

It was a truly wonderful experience for me, and thanks to Chef Karam who is a wonderful teacher, his friendliness and sense of humour puts everyone at ease and I can see that it is reflected in the way the students are enjoying and helping each other. The pleasant environment and fully-equipped kitchen definitely made the class an enjoyably complete learning experience.

If anyone is keen to find out more about the upcoming pastry and culinary courses by Taylor's University Lakeside Campus, please feel free to contact the university at :

Taylor's University
Lakeside Campus
No 1, Jalan Taylor's
47500 Subang Jaya
Selangor Darul Ehsan
Tel : 603-5629 5000
Fax : 603-5629 5001
Email : cpe@taylors.edu.my


Lastly, I would like to thank Ms. Samantha Mah and Taylor's University Lakeside Campus for the invitation, thus giving me this wonderful opportunity to experience a hands-on classic pastry and cake class. And a special thanks to Chef Karam for making the class an interesting and enjoyable one. 



27 comments:

  1. the banana moouse cake looks great!!! any recipe for tat Joyce? btw which one is u? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Joyce, coincidentally my cousin's hubby teaches there, and I visited their campus during my recent KL trip. The bakes look delicious! I was also gonna ask the same question as Mi Mi, which lovely lady one is you? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Mich, The campus is lovely! Haha! I knew that someone would asked me that question! So this answers Mimi's questions as well, I am not in the picture! I was the one holding the camera! Anyway, I'm keeping low profile! Hahaha!

      Delete
  3. I love attending baking courses and you are so lucky to be able to attend this interesting class. Like your mini version of tart tatin!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love to attend baking class too. So do you have to pay for the fee?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Angeline, you may contact Taylor's University directly for the actual fees. They have different baking classes for pastries, breads and cakes.

      Delete
  5. Hi Joyce , I was just about to post my baking class pic too ... LOL ..How I wish I can attend too ;)

    ReplyDelete
  6. WOW! what a wonderful opportunity from taylor's uni! i bet you had a great learning experience there :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Joyce, look like you enjoyed the class and have fun. Chef Karam is a good teacher.

    ReplyDelete
  8. what a beautiful and surrounding area surrounding the campus? any ducks swimming in the lake? or caught any lovey dovey 'pak toh' in the park? haha! was hoping to see your pavlova!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, the campus has a lovely serene surrounding. The only lovey dovey "pak toh" I saw was a group of cute ducks swimming in one corner! Did not take photo of my pavlova with the cream, aiseh...!!!

      Delete
  9. Joyce , you're so lucky to have attended that baking course ! The campus looks lovely with that lakeside view :) The pavlova looks simply fantastic !

    ReplyDelete
  10. Looks like a fun day! I'm going to be taking a baking class at the Wilton decorating school soon.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great opportunity Joyce!! You must've picked up some handy helpful tips.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Banana mousse? taste nice?

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks like a great class, the banana mousse looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm more interested to know which one is you in the group photo,hahaha,Jessie is so '8!' By the way this cooking class looks great with those desserts that you girls have put on to the table!Is this the similar class that Quay Po had attended b4,no?

    ReplyDelete
  15. What a fun day, very serious in the making of the desserts however! Thanks for sharing your day with us.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hi Joyce!
    Wow, this is so cool! Is this University a school dedicated to pastry making or isit just a department of the school for pastry students? hahaha the baking lessons look awesome, wish i could have been there with you! :D
    -SimplyBakes

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi, Thank you for stopping by! Taylor's University has many other various courses available, Culinary and Pastry is just one of them. You can find out more from Taylor's University!
      Yes, the class was awesome! I've really enjoyed it!
      Will be visiting you soon, have a lovely weekend!

      Delete
  17. Oh wow! Lucky you, Joyce! The banana mousse cake looks so tempting! Do you have the recipe? Make lah weii & share with us! LOL I've attended 1 cooking class with a very handsome French chef & at the end of the class I don't even know what I've learned because I was admiring the chef all the time!! hahahahaa I think it's Eclair! LOL Can't remember even now but I recalled how the chef looks like ! hahahahahahh

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Kit! Yes, I was very lucky to be invited for the class! I'm afraid I can't give the recipe out, but I'll make some and courier to you! LOL!
      You are very funny, the chef must be REALLY HANDSOME that you did not even know that you are learning Eclair! More handsome than Sean Connery-kah? Hohoho!

      Delete
  18. The Lakes Health and Fitness, a gym and health and fitness centre in Taylors Lakes, health club in taylors lakes, health club in Sydenham, health club in caroline springs and health club in keilor.

    ReplyDelete