Sunday, July 22, 2012

Braided Challah

Challah has been one of the bread that I have always wanted to make. When I've read that Breaking Bread Society has featured "Challah" as the bread for the month of July, I knew that this is the time for me to get my Challah in the oven!  I went through my bread baking books, and have about half a dozen different Challah recipes. It is not easy picking out which recipe when I have one too many! Finally, I settled for this easy bread machine recipe from my favourite bread machine baking book "The Artisan Bread Machine" by Judith Fertig.

Challah is an egg-enriched bread, sometimes with honey as one of its main ingredients. Most recipes that I've read calls for 2-3 number of eggs, but this recipe uses only 1 egg for 1 medium loaf. This recipe has the option of baking the bread in the full cycle of the bread machine or another option of mixing the dough in the bread machine, shapped into a braid or make into a round by hand and finished off the baking in the oven. Of course, as usual, I let the bread machine do all the mixing and kneading, take out the dough, braid it and bake it in the oven.


I use the Basic Dough setting in my bread machine, which takes 1 hour 35 minutes, right up to the first rise and "punched down" by the machine. I added in about 1/3 cup of bread flour at the first 10 minutes of kneading time, as I find that the dough is really wet.

At the end of the cycle, the dough is placed on a lightly floured working surface, divide into three and roll each piece into a 16" rope. The dough was a little sticky, I sprinkled with a light dusting of flour and it was easier to work with. Line the baking sheet with a piece of parchment paper. I then placed the three ropes on the parchment paper, next to each other, close but not touching. Most books including this, states that to braid the dough first, then transfer them to the baking sheet. From my experience, I find that it is easier to braid them directly on the lined baking sheet, as I always have problem transferring the braided loaf to the baking sheet, especially when the braided dough is quite huge. Back to my braids, I braided the ropes starting from the center, I find that by braiding them this way, the braid will be neater than when I start from one end to the other end. Second pic above, tuck one end under to seal.


Repeat with the other side, from the center. That is a lovely braid! Cover with a clean kitchen towel and left to rise for about 1 to 1-1/2 hours. I find that mine was rising rather quick. About 45 minutes into the rising time, I switched on the oven.


After about 1 hour and 10 minutes, it is ready to be placed in the oven. The braided dough rises really well, not so pretty braid anymore! Brush top of dough with egg wash and sprinkle some sesame seeds all over. Bake in the oven for 34-36 minutes, mine was done at 32 minutes.


Rich and golden crust. 


Nice Challah! The sweetness of the honey is really nice, without being overly sweet. I did reduced the salt slightly, and even then, I can taste the light saltiness, which works out well with the hint of sweetness from the honey. This bread has a soft crumb and soft interior, but I can tell that this is definitely not as egg-enriched as other Challah recipes, as it contains only 1 egg. I will be trying out other recipes from my other books.


This loaf of Challah is tasty enough to be eaten on its own or with a spread of butter and jam, and a cup of coffee. 



I'm linking this Braided Challah to :
Breaking Bread Society, hosted by Cake Duchess
Bake Your Own Bread (BYOB) hosted by Girlichef
Recipe Box hosted by Bizzy Bakes
Cookbook Sundays hosted by Couscous & Consciousness


Braided Challah
(The Artisan Bread Machine by Judith Fertig)
Makes 1 loaf of 750gm (1-1/2 pound)
1 tsp salt (I use slightly less than 1 tsp)
1 large egg, beaten
3/4 cup lukewarm water (between 86F and 95F)
1/3 cup liquid honey
1-1/2 tbsp vegetable oil
2-3/4 cups bread flour (I added about 1/3 cup more)
1-1/4 tsp instant or bread machine yeast

Topping :
1 large egg, beaten
sesame seeds or poppy seeds (optional)

  1. Add salt, egg, water, honey and oil to the bread pan. Spoon flour on top of liquid. Add yeast.
  2. Select the Dough cycle and press Start.
  3. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper. When the cycle is finished, transfer dough to a floured surface and punch down gently.
  4. Divide dough into thirds. Roll each third into a 16-inch (40cm) long rope. Braid ropes together, tucking ends under. Place on prepared baking sheet. Cover with a clean towel and let rise in a warm, draft-free place for 1 to 1-1/2 hours or until doubled in bulk.
  5. Meanwhile, preheat oven to 350F (180C). Brush braid with beaten egg and sprinkle with sesame seeds, if desired, pressing the seeds into the dough. Bake until risen and golden pan an instant-read thermometer inserted in the center registers 190F (90C). Remove from pan and let cool on a wire rack.

24 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Indeed very nice challah! It it's been ages since I last baked one. :) the best part is to make French toast with it! Yummy. :))

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I did make some french toast with the leftovers! :o)

      Delete
  3. Is nicely baked with golden brown surface. Haven't try challah. Might bake one one day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your challaw look amazing is a type of braid I always think in try.I dont have a machine bread you think I can make withiut mschine?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Gloria,
      You could try using the stand mixer with the dough hook, happy baking!

      Delete
  5. That challah looks great ! And in one of my must-bake bread list ! :D

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a golden loaf of challah! All my bread never bake to this golden color before! So beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That's a perfectly braided challah!

    ReplyDelete
  8. That's a fantastic braid, Joyce...and I love that you topped your challah w/ sesame seeds (one of my faves). Wish I could have a slice or two for breakie right now! =) (...and a bread baking society? I'm intrigued. I must go check it out!)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Delicious and lovely looking challah. Wonderfully prepared.

    Deepa
    Hamaree Rasoi

    ReplyDelete
  10. Lovely! Your breads are always wonderful, I love Challah, it is delicious the next day as toast french toast. So good in fact, worth making just to have for the next day's treats.

    ReplyDelete
  11. my challah is still is my thought! i havnet made the chicken pies yet, how to make challah?! so can you pls pass me yours?

    ReplyDelete
  12. The color of your loaf is just magical. Great job of taking on a new project and doing it so well Joyce. Thank you for sharing this with BYOB.

    ReplyDelete
  13. beautiful challah, Joyce. I am now craving another challah and need to get baking. Isn't it wonderful as French toast the next day?:)thanks for baking along this month. sweet wishes xx

    ReplyDelete
  14. This challah looks amazing, so beautifully browned on the outside and moist inside. Thanks for the tip on braiding from the centre. I never seem to be able to get my braids right and I shall try your method next time.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've smelt the bread in your oven! Challah, challah, yes I've seen the recipe of challah in youtube while looking for inspiration. Joyce's challah has a golden crust & soft bread inside, nice!

    ReplyDelete
  16. What a beautifully baked bread!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I am following your lovely blog :)
    you are welcome to follow me back ..

    xxx
    http://abudhabifood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  18. Beautiful challah Joyce...I should would love a slice of this bread...yum!
    Have a wonderful week ahead :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Challah is indeed one of my favourite breads. Yours turned out lovely.

    ReplyDelete