Wednesday, May 9, 2012

Golden Caps Dumplings

Dim Sum! Everyone's favourite! I'm sure that most of us have our favourite plate of dim sum in mind whenever we frequent our favourite Dim Sum restaurant. There are a number of favourites ranging from century egg porridge, steamed baos, braised chicken feet, fried yam cakes, fish balls, yong tau fu, the list is endless! Having Dim Sum in restaurants are not cheap either! My most favourite whenever I visit the Dim Sum restaurants will be the century egg porridge, fried yam cakes and stuffed chillies. My kids would go for the fishballs and fried wonton. Even fried wonton has a few varieties. Since my kids love fried wonton, here I have made some Golden Cap Dumplings.


 These are really easy and simple to make. Prepare the filling and place about a tablespoon of filling on a piece of round wonton wrapper



Roll it up and bring the two edges together in a circle, brushing the ends with a little cornflour solution to seal them together.


 Cute little dumplings!


 Anyway you look at it, these are cute, before they are fried, that is!


Not so cute after frying! Deep fry the dumplings and serve with your favourite chili sauce. Excuse the blur photos, I was in a hurry to get dinner going, so was kinda rush when taking these photos!


Four pieces, where's the other three?  Ooops...!! Well, it is difficult to stop at  just one! Yummy! :o)

What's your favourite dim sum?



Small Small Baker/Aspiring Baker



Golden Caps Dumplings
30-35 pieces round wonton wrapper
1 teaspoon cornflour mixed with 1 tablespoon water


For The Filling :
200gm minced pork
150gm minced prawns
1 tablespoon finely chopped Shitake mushroom (soaked till soften and chopped to small bits)
2 tablespoon chopped coriander or spring onion
1 tablespoon cornflour
a few drops of sesame oil
salt and pepper to taste

  1. Mix all filling ingredients well into a paste. To ensure that paste is well seasoned, pan-fry about 1 teaspoon with a few drops of oil, taste and add salt and pepper if needed.
  2. Place about 1 tablespoon of filling onto wonton wrapper. Roll it up. Bring the two ends together in a circle and brush the ends with a little cornflour solution. Press together to so that they stick together to seal. Repeat with the rest of ingredients and wonton wrapper.
  3. Heat enough oil for deep frying. Deep-fry Golden Caps until golden brown and cripsy. Remove and drain on kitchen paper towel to absorb excess oil. 
  4. Serve hot while still crispy with your favourite chili sauce.


30 comments:

  1. I love dumplings, so I am immediately drawn to this recipe. Your dumplings sound really delicious and I know my family would love them. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. you are right :-) it is very difficult to control when you have yummy, crispy dim sims ...Clicking takes back seat. Loving it...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yummy and crunchy goodness. I always love wonton wraps...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely and delicious

    http://followfoodie.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your dim sums look amazing. I love how well you have folded them - like a work of art. And who doesn't love these when they come straight out of the wok!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing another rolling method for making the dumpling.
    Kristy

    ReplyDelete
  7. They were very loved. Super image.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Your dimsums are lovely. can never manage to fold them as artistically as you have done it :D.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You have wrapped it up very nicely. I want to copy this ... looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Really love the way you've wrapped them! So beautiful & well presented! Will learn how to wrap it like you! Thanks for tutorial & recipe! Delicious! :)

    ReplyDelete
  11. hi Joyce, you know what, i just made this kind of fried dumpling too today LOL
    but yours definitely are neater than mine :)
    going to post soon, i made two types, one fried, one soup hehehe...
    yum yum yum... :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Super crispy dumplings,excellent starter..

    ReplyDelete
  13. you know, these few days have been seeing dim sum on the blogs, so today i suggested dim sum for lunch with my friend. She ordered fried wanton too! i love how you shaped your wanton. Before frying..cute! after frying, delicious!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I want loads of them! Plzzz...so cute. I think you've got to make lots of it to feed my family.

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is new to me!Thaks for sharing!Kisses,dear!

    ReplyDelete
  16. You shape it so cute! And sound yummy too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. This shaping is new to me. Crispy dumplings, sure everyone love it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. These are my favourites;so impressed that you made them;wow!
    Rita

    ReplyDelete
  19. wow this is looking awesome. love the photos

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love eating these but not good at making them, too tedious to wrap so many lol! Lovely photos indeed!

    ReplyDelete
  21. This is the third post I've seen on dumplings today but the first for fried. These look great!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I wouldn't be surprise that these crispy yummy dumplings are gone in a glimpse! LOL!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Eileen@Hundred Eighty DegreesThursday, May 10, 2012

    Look crispy and mouth-watering.

    ReplyDelete
  24. These are the cutest. Aren't wontons fabulous? I use them for many dishes.

    ReplyDelete
  25. they look amazing! Wontons are so versatile i love what you did with them here.Packed full of amazing flavors and yummy goodness

    ReplyDelete
  26. How delicious. I have only had dumplings like this in restaurants - I would love to try to make them myself.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Everyone loves dumplings, especially fried ones. True, it is hard to stop at one. Hehe...it is hard to concentrate on the photography sometimes when the food is so tempting :D

    ReplyDelete
  28. I learned this method from youtube. It make the dumpling looks more interesting.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Joyce, I made this yesterday. Nice but mine not so nicely wrapped like yours so not posting. Dropping you a note to say thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Chris,
      I'm glad that you like it! Appearance does not matter, most important is, it is delicious and you enjoy it! Thanks for trying and letting me know! :)

      Delete