Monday, March 14, 2011

Kahlua and Cream Muffins

If you have a bottle of Kahlua in your pantry, in your liqueur cabinet, anywhere else for that matter, go make this muffins. These are really good, when eaten straight out of the oven, well, almost straight out, let it cool for 5 minutes or so, then eat! 



The smell of the Kahlua and the coffee is a delight. It is not overpowering strong, but light and strong enough for the wonderful aroma of coffee and Kahlua mixed together. Before baking, the top is sprinkle with some heavy cream and a little demerara sugar, I use light brown sugar as I do not have demerara sugar. I can almost smell the cream during baking, or rather, because I know that there is cream in the muffins and in the topping!




Even my son, who was watching the telly, came into the kitchen and asked me what is the wonderful smell that I'm baking, he says, smells like coffee. He has my nose, yup, definitely! As in the case of my hubby, for crying out loud, gave one muffin for him to try, and he says he can't smell the coffee! I asked him jokingly "are you having a cold, or has your nose gone on a holiday!!",   :)  He! He! 


As can be seen on the top of the muffin, the white speckled effect of the cream.  




This is really good with a cup of coffee, with cream. As with most muffins, eat it while it is still very warm. It is still very good eaten at room temperature. I had this for my breakfast this morning with a cup of hot coffee and the flavours of the coffee and Kahlua seems to mature overnight and tastes really good.  Make this just in time for tea or breakfast. It is so easy and simple that by the time the muffins are placed into the oven for baking, it will be ready by the time you finished up your washing and made yourself a cup of coffee! Just on time to sit back and relax, reward yourself after all the 'hard work' with a warm delicious muffin and a cup of hot coffee. 


It is really soft, moist and full of coffee flavour. Very good!


Kahlua and Cream Muffins
(adapted from "Mad About Muffins" by Diana Bonaparte)
Makes 12 muffins
300gm/10-1/2 oz plain (all-purpose) flour
1 tbsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt
5gm/1 tbsp instant coffee powder or granules
170gm/6 oz light muscovado sugar (I use light brown sugar)
2 eggs
100gm/3-1/2 oz Kahlua coffee liqueur
190gm/6-3/4 oz double (heavy) cream
1 tsp vanilla essence (extract)
100gm/3-1/2 oz butter

For The Topping :
100gm / 3-1/2oz double (heavy) cream
30gm / 1 oz demerara sugar (I use light brown sugar)

  1. Preheat the oven to 200C/400F/gas 6/fan oven 180C. Grease and flour 12 muffin tin sections or line with paper liners.
  2. Sift the dry ingredients into a large bowl, using a spoon to push the coffee and light muscovado sugar through the sieve (strainer).
  3. Combine the eggs, Kahlua, double cream and vanilla in a medium-sized bowl and mix well with a fork. Try not to thicken the cream. Melt the butter in a small bowl in the microwave or in a small saucepan.
  4. Add all the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and gently fold together with a large metal spoon until just moistened.
  5. Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin tin.
  6. Spoon double cream over the muffins (about 1/2 tbsp each), then sprinkle with demerara sugar.
  7. Bake for 20-23 minutes until well risen and golden and the tops of the spring back when gently pressed.
  8. Transfer to a wire rack to cool a little before eating.


28 comments:

  1. Coffee in my cup and coffee in my muffin, that sounds like a great breakfast! These muffins look delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds lovely! I'm not a fan of coffee, but my hubby is, so this recipe will be good for him! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds like an impressive recipe! I love the idea of cream in there :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. I dont dring cofee, but your muffins are wonterful!!!
    Have a nice week !
    Kisses

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gorgeous looking muffins...would love to have some..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh man! I wish my home smelled like yours :) I must make these. Thanks so much for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. that's really a good combination for sure and with the addition of cream, i think this is a winner!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Melynda,
    Looks like we a couple of adoring coffee fans!

    Hi Ah Tze,
    Yup, I think that your hubby would really enjoy this since he likes coffee.

    Hi Brittany,
    The cream give a lovely moist texture to the muffin. Have a lovely day.

    Hi Magda,
    Thank you, you have a nice day too!

    Hi Priya,
    Thank you for stopping by!

    Hi alison,
    Thank you!

    Hi Happy Whisk,
    I really these muffins, thank you!

    Hi Parsley Sage,
    Hope you enjoy making and eating these muffins. Happy Baking!

    Hi lena,
    Yes, the cream and kahlua sure make this muffin a winner. Love the smell!

    ReplyDelete
  9. se ve muy rico el muffin,se desarma en la boca se ve húmedo y especial con la crema,abrazos y cariños.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't function without my morning coffee and with these I'd get a double dose! They sound wonderfully delicious and I like it only makes 12 muffins. I have some recipes that make 24 - it's just too many.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love your idea of topping the muffins with cream and sugar. What delicious muffin tops those must be. Thanks for linking these up to Sweets for a Saturday.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Please I want a muffin!! look awesome! gloria

    ReplyDelete
  13. Perfect recipe to use up my Kahlua! Just a question on the measurements - how do you measure the liquids in grams/oz? Do you use a digital scale for that as you would for dry ingredients?

    ReplyDelete
  14. These look delectable - love the delicious flavors! I can only imagine the wonderful smells!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can imagine that the smell of these muffins must be as lovely as they look.

    ReplyDelete
  16. The kahlua muffins looks amazing! What a perfect combination of coffee and cream, it looks very moist and yummy! I bet the muffins would taste great with coffee too.

    I would like to remind everyone, tomorrow is the last day for certified organic seeds veggies and flower giveaway. I encourage you to enter. Good luck! Visit my blog and tell everyone about the contest http://blossomhideaway.blogspot.com/2011/03/early-spring-organic-seeds-giveaway.html

    ReplyDelete
  17. I know I would love these. They would be perfect with my afternoon coffee. I actually have some kahlua in my pantry and will try these when I have some time. Have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  18. I bet these are super yummy!!!
    Cheers.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm ALL about putting alcohol into baked goods and Kahlua in muffins is one combo I haven't tried yet. It sounds AMAZING!!

    Sues

    ReplyDelete
  20. Oh! The flavors of these muffins are yummie. Would love to try them...great combination of kahlua and cream :-) Have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  21. First time here. Found your blog through your comment on Only Fish Recipes. These muffins look so moist. I'm not a big coffee fan but I don't mind a little espresso powder in my baked goods :o)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Love Kaluha and these muffins look sinfully delicious and I can't wait to try them! Thanks sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I have bookmarked this recipe because I know I would love it. These would be so good with my morning coffee. :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Where we can buy Kahlua coffe liquer


    From Christine

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Christine,
      You can buy the Kahlua from any liquor shops. Are you from around KL or PJ? If you are, you can try from Giant or Jusco, there's a small section at the corner that sells liquor and have seen this sold at these places before, they are however quite costly.
      Thank you for stopping by and have a nice day!

      Delete
  25. My favourite type of muffin...coffee! Btw, instead of using the heavy cream, could i substitute with milk or plain yogurt? If using milk, will the muffin turn out too liquid?

    ReplyDelete