Saturday, November 20, 2010

Steamed Pork Ribs with Fermented Black Beans

This is really delicious with plain white rice. Rice is a staple food and an absolute must, for Asians. Of course, we do go for noodles and sometimes fast food too, once in a while, but rice remains the main staple food for Asians. One may sit at a dinner table with lavish spreads of delicious meats and vegetables, but it will not be complete without the bowl of rice.  So in almost every home, you can find a bucket of uncooked rice and a rice cooker in the kitchen.  Usually, when it is time to prepare for dinner, the first thing we do is to reach for the rice cooker and put it on, while the rest of the dishes for dinner are being prepared.  

In my home, rice is usually eaten with two or three different type of dishes which could be either meat or fish, a vegetable dish usually stir-fry and perhaps a dish of tofu, egg or soup.  For dinner a few days ago, I cooked this dish, Steamed Pork Ribs with Fermented Black Beans, one of my family's favourite.  It is really delicious eaten with plain white rice, even my hubby and son had second helpings with their rice!  If you like Chinese food, then do give this a try! 



I'm linking this delicious dish with Recipe Swap Thursday at Prairie Story

Steamed Pork Ribs with Fermented Black Beans
Ingredients :
600gm pork ribs
3 cloves garlic, minced
30 gm ginger, minced
2 fresh red chili, chopped or sliced to small pieces
2 tbsp fermented black beans
a small bunch of spring onions, chopped
some cooking oil
1 tbsp oyster sauce
1 tsp rice vinegar
1 tsp sesame oil

To marinate the ribs :
1 tbsp cornflour
1 tbsp ginger juice (pound some ginger and extract juice), or water
1 tsp sugar
pinch of salt
dash of ground white pepper
1 tbsp chinese cooking wine

Method :

  1. Marinate pork rib with the marinating ingredients. Cover and refrigerate for about 30 minutes.
  2. Heat about 1-2 tablespoons cooking oil. Saute chopped garlic, ginger and chili until fragrant. Add in fermented black beans and stir for about 1 minute. Add the oyster sauce, rice vinegar and sesame oil, stir well.  Add the pork ribs together with the marinating juices and stir well to combine.  It will be dry. During steaming, the pork ribs would release its own fats and juices. 
  3. Transfer pork ribs to a deep steaming plate, making sure the plate is able to hold the juices accumulated from the ribs during steaming. Steam over high heat for about 25 minutes or until pork ribs are cooked and tender.
  4. Remove and garnish with freshly chopped spring onions.  Serve hot. Enjoy!


******************************


REMINDER!   REMINDER!

CULINARY SMACKDOWN "LET'S GET TANGY WITH CITRUS" NOVEMBER 2010
For more details and to submit your entry please click here. Remember the challenge ends on November 29th, 2010 at 12.00 noon, Malaysia time. Good luck!

9 days left to submit your entry!



11 comments:

  1. Love love love fermented black beans, this looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. KF, this looks super delicious.. loved the presentation.. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do love Chinese food, so I know I'd love this! I've never used fermented black beans- I'll have to find some though. All of these flavors together sound lovely. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum.... this looks absolutely amazing!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mouthwatering dish, very tempting..

    ReplyDelete
  6. I absolutely love Chinese food; so this certainly looks delicious. So flavourful..as it should be :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yum! I love rice as well. I do love savory rice, and I make several kinds, but my favorite way to eat rice is in rice pudding. Is that childish? haha

    Your meal looks DELICIOUS. I always love reading your blog. You have such creative and beautiful meals.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this delicious homey pork dish. Would have to ask for some more rice!
    p.s I just noticed that I put pine nuts in the method. Sorry...I used roasted WALNUTS. Pine nuts are getting pricey here, so I decided to use walnuts.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This dish is a perfect combination with plain white rice...yum :D

    ReplyDelete
  10. This dish sounds absolutely wonderful - will have to see if I can find fermented black beans anywhere here.
    Sue

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hi everyone!
    Thank you for stopping by and your sweet comments too! Have a lovely day!

    Hi Angie,
    Thank you! I have some walnuts, great! Will be trying this out. Have a lovely day!

    ReplyDelete